Identity glimpse

In all the various social media networking tools these days, there is an area on each of these to describe yourself.
What are you supposed to put there??
Sure, lots of people put their interests, their passions, their titles, likes, dislikes, etc.
But ultimately it all comes down to a definition.

It’s a definition of yourself.

On the surface, my social media description is ever-changing.  Take that, Facebook. 
The description of my 18 year old self would be vastly different than the description of my 25 year old self, which will be greatly different from my 30 year old self.  Passions, likes, titles—those all transform over time and even constantly.

BUT how on earth can you define a human being with a heart and soul and multiple dimensions into 2 sentences of words??  That’s impossible!


A definition is defined as:
–noun
1.  the formal statement of the meaning or significance of a word, phrase, etc.


So, in the social media networking context, the area where you describe yourself is really a formal statement of the meaning or significance of YOU.

What does your life mean? Why are you significant? What are you doing to bring more meaning to yourself and the world? Does how you live your life add significance to the lives around you?

We immediately think that those in the media spotlights as having the most significance in the world today. Obama. Glenn Beck. Dave Ramsey. Tom’s Shoes.  Etc, etc, etc.
And thus we think of the significance being those who have the capability of reaching multitudes of people.

Jesus taught many. He was significant to countless numbers. He has meaning for the entire world.
But who carried out his mission?
The 12 that were closest to him. His flock.

(Sidenote--I wonder how Peter would define himself:  “fisherman turned evangelist” or “quick with the sword” or “a question-asking passionate follower of my Lord.”  ?)


We don’t have to be in the spotlight to have meaning and significance. We can just infect our own flock, our own closest circle with our meaning and significance. That in itself is enough.


That being said, I want my formal statement of myself to be written on the lives around me.  Long after I’m gone, those that knew me will say “this is how Aleisha was defined”...  

Although my descriptors will be constantly changing throughout my life---one minute I’ll be a dreamer and the next I’ll be a doer; one minute I’ll be a Tetris master and the next I’ll be a violin apprentice---my meaning and significance and, thus, my ultimate definition will always be the same. 


I know where I'm headed and why I'm headed there.


Comments