Remembering...these days

With everything that is going over in Egypt and the Middle East, I am SO grateful to have already "been there, done that" and to be "safe" here in America. The unrest is shocking and appalling to watch--I was actually in a state of horror when I first heard that protesters had broken into the Cairo Museum and were on a rampage within the walls of an entity cradling such history.  I've been in that museum and--though it's most notable for holding King Tut's treasures--it's abundant not with just Egypt's treasures but with historical riches that belong to the world.  Riches that help tell the story of the world.  It's amazing how the unrest of people can so threaten these things...


Now that I think about it, I feel that upheavals such as the current one were inevitable.  I mean, we were in an "Information Age" for a long time...information and education was becoming more readily available to everyone through the Internet.  However, we are now in a "Connected Age" where not only is information available, but the world's ideas are connected.  It truly is a small world these days.  Opportunities are abundant.  The world is a seemingly boundless network with nothing able to stop it... 
But I feel that no matter where anyone is in the world and no matter how valuable this "Connected Age" is, the result is:  for most people the grass always looks greener on the other side...
As an example, this concept has been explained in many "Facebook studies"--the studies show that people on Facebook see the fun, exciting things their friends are doing and then they dwell on how "boring" their own life is.  Facebook can literally lead straight to depression.  And with over 250 million people using Facebook, perceived reality verses reality is an issue with consequences that cannot be overlooked.

My personal retaliation to all this unrest, world connection, integration, longing and dissatisfaction is that we need to take a step back and start living in the Days of Elijah.

How, you say?

Let me let Robin Mark describe it to you:
"... [The Lord replied saying that] the days we were living in were special times when He would require Christians to be filled with integrity and to stand up for Him just like Elijah did. 
These are 'Elijah Days'.
Elijah's story is in the book of Kings and you can read how he felt isolated and alone in the culture in which he lived.  But God told him to stand up and speak for Him."

...and stand up and speak for Him is exactly what we should do.

In a society where it's easy to feel connected to the world (thus creating unrest) and at the same time be utterly disconnected from the world (by longing to experience others' lives but your own), we have a requirement to fulfill.  As Christians, we are required to push past both these issues reigning over our society and speak to any and all around us as if we were truly living in the Days of Elijah.

So during a time in which I feel called to make a declaration for Whom I live and, as a result, how I'm living...let me remember.  I want to remember these days. 
Let me remember the time that I was...:
    living
    getting ready for my brother to be in college
    joyful
    working and creating
    shooting co-workers with nerf darts
    cooking
    watching Parks and Rec
    loving my family
    studying
    taking up drinking coffee
    making snow ice cream
    yearning
    being utterly happy for others
    doting on a precious puppy
    planning for big changes?
    aching to travel..as always
    laughing
    cruisin'
    being inspired
    being inspired by friends quietly leaping in faith
    and  
    declaring Yahweh as my God--just like an old prophet I've read about...


Let us remember this time...and make them Elijah Days. 

Comments

  1. Yahweh gives wisdom... & joy... & peace.
    Much love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well spoken! Wish I could say you received your wisdom beyond your years from me, but, I know better. God is the giver.
    Love you,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment